Friday, October 16, 2009

Rome, Day One

Sorry I didn't have a lot of blogging opportunity or initiative between the last post in Ravenna and today. Ravenna, day two, was rainy, but that didn't stoop me from spending good quality time at the Basilica of San Apollinare in Classe, which is a 5-km, 15-minute bus ride from the center of the town. More great mosaics in an impressive building. So much has happened since then, however, that I'll have to wait until I can review the pictures for a more detailed commentary.

Yesterday, Thursday, was travel to Rome day. I was hoping to write on the train, but it was so crowded and uncomfortable -- almost like an airplane -- that it was impossible not only to open up the computer but also to put two thoughts together rationally. I was pretty exhausted when I got to the "Yes Hotel," (nifty name) which is brand-newly refurbished with high tech amenities, including availab;e 125-volt power and an Ameican-style outlet. They must understand that today's travelers are into gadgets that need recharging, because the room is loaded with electrical outlets. And it's only a block from the Stazione Termini (Central Train Station), which also serves as the subway and bus hub of the city.

Today I was planning to visit the catacombs and ended up spending almost the whole day in Ostia Antica instead. Ostia was the ancient port city of Rome, and the excavations and partial reconstructions are among the best anywhere. I'm not going to Pompei or Herculaneum, which I imagine can be more impressive because of the way volcanic ash or mud preserved them. But those were resort towns for the rich and famous, and do not represent the great diversity of life in a real-world city. Ostia does. A little imagination could put one in the center of the bustling community life there. Another advantage is that so few people seem to know about it -- even I had no idea it was this extensive and well maintained -- that it's not overrun with tourists.

Subway/train connections are great, and onthe way back I visited St. Paul's Outside the Walls, The newly excavated tomb of St. Paul is barely visible through a glass opening in the shrine beneath the main altar. There is also a new door that was made specially for the Year of St. Paul, which recently concluded, with some striking relief sculptures.

It's now about 7:30 pm, and I'm kind of hungry and tired, so I think I'll get something to eat and go to bed. Rain is predicted for tomorrow, so I'm not sure what I'll do.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Fr. Tom, Welcome to Rome! Thank you for the link to Ostia Antica. I didn't know that St. Augustine and his mother Monica lived there in 387 AD. The Holy See website has a nice "virtual tour" of the Tomb of St. Peter (Necropolis). I hope that you get to see it in person! What a spiritual treasure in light of the year for priests (as must be the tomb of our beloved Pope JPII). God bless your day ahead and may the Holy Spirt enlighten your visitations to the sites you choose. My prayers are with you. With love, Nicole K. (GSparishioner)

    ReplyDelete