Thursday, October 1, 2009

Greetings from Good Shepherd

After four months of inactivity, I'm back to blogging again. Tomorrow will mark the completion of three months as the new pastor of the Church of the Good Shepherd in Beverly Hills. The welcome I've received has been genuine and wonderful, and I'm beginning to feel very much at home. A total move to a new location and a new ministry at age 67 is bound to be hard, and there have been ... uhm ... moments. But, on the whole I'm settling in, and enjoying both the perks and the fresh opportunities for ministry in this new spot.

Preparations are in order for the 2010 Early Christian World Pilgrimage to Turkey next April. I've set up a dedicated website for it. I hope to update it often, so you might want to bookmark it. Its address is easy to remember: http://ecwpilgrimage.org. We just finalized the itinerary and pricing a few weeks ago ($2,950 for 22 days). I recommend anyone interested to contact me ASAP. We need a minimum of 20 participants and there's a maximum of 40. I already have commitments from 9 people, and strong "probables" from 3 more.

After three months, I am finally taking a vacation. Beginning next week, I'll be in Italy for two weeks. Although I spent two years in Rome studying liturgy in the 1970s, I haven't been back except for a very brief visit with the OLA choir in the spring of 2001. The Early Christian World Pilgrimage to Turkey has really whetted my appetite to revisit some spots with new eyes, specifically the early Christian and Byzantine sites. So I'll be concentrating on Milan, Venice, Ravenna, and Rome.

I plan to post a lot of descriptions, reflections, and pictures on this blog, so you all can come with me virtually (and in spirit). Later this evening, I plan to post a day-by-day itinerary.

But for now, if you are interested, here are some video highlights of my installation as pastor here at Good Shepherd, with Bishop Ed Clark presiding, on Saturday evening, September 12.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that I am moderating all comments before they are posted. Please type your comment below, and be sure to include your real name at the end of your comments. I want to encourage genuine dialogue and respectful sharing of diverse opinions. However, I will not allow unsigned comments, or those I deem to be offensive, to be posted. If you see a "Select Profile" box below, and it mystifies you, select "Anonymous" at the bottom of the drop-down menu.