Saturday, October 3, 2009

Early Christian World in Italy: Itinerary

Over the past few years, getting acquainted with the Early Christian World sites in Turkey, it has become obvious to me that many sites in Italy relate directly to the sites we explore in Turkey--sites ranging form apostolic times to the Byzantine Empire and the interplay of the East and the West. Folr a long time I've wanted to explore those sites. Now, thanks to a wonderful gift from the ECW Pilgrims of the 2006-2008, I have the opportunity to do just that. Here's my itinerary for my trip to Italy this coming week. (Today--Saturday evening, October 3, I'm putting up the bare bones. I'll add flesh -- descriptions and more links -- as time goes on; subsequent entries will link to this basic itinerary.)

On Wednesday, October 7, I arrive in Milan at 8:50 am.

I will stay two nights at the Arco Romana Hotel, which is a 7 minute subway ride from the central station, and an even shorter subway ride from the historic center, with most of the sites I want to visit.


Here's the weather in Milan. Looks like I'll be heading into rain! Warm too: 75-80 degrees F. every day for the next week.

On Friday, October 9, I'll take the train to Venice, where I'll stay in the Hotel Firenze, where I'll stay three nights (two full days). The hotel is just off St. Mark's Square, and a 5-euro boat ride from the train station.


The hotel looks like it will be a great spot to relax, but I hope to get out and explore too. There are lots of places that arouse my interest.

Here's the weather in Venice.

(Only in Italy would one stay at the "Roman" hotel in Milan and the "Florence" hotel in Venice!)

Monday, October 12, will find me boarding the train to Ravenna, where I'll stay in the Hotel Argentario. , which is also close to the railroad station and many of the historic sites. Because of its pre-8th-century (i.e., before iconoclasm) mosaics and other ancient Byzantine monuments, this is the place I really want to immerse myself in. I'll be here three nights--two full days.


Here's the weather in Ravenna.

Then, on to Rome, Thursday, October 15, where I'll stay at the Yes Hotel (yes, you got that right), which seems like a real "sweetheart" of a small hotel, just one block from the Stazione Termini (train station), which means a short distance by public transportation from just about everywhere.


I'll be five nights (four full days) in Rome, and am not sure just where I'll go or what I'll see, but I am booked for a full day at the Vatican Museum (another link) and Scavi (excavations) on Monday. (i have no plans to see the pope -- I won't be there for the usual Wednesday audience. Maybe I'll run into him at a local trattoria or, perhaps, hofbrau.

Here's the weather in Rome.

On Tuesday, October 20, I'm returning to LAX, arriving, God willing, around 7:00 pm.

6 comments:

  1. Hi im Anthony from GCSC. That sounds like fun! Hope you have a good time!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Father Tom,
    I hope you have a good trip and be safe.
    From Alyssa 5th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you go on the trip every year?
    If you do do you get a lot of things from the gift shop?


    Lauren Sanchez 5th grade
    Good Shepherd Catholic School

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lauren, no I don't take this trip every year, but I do lead a pilgrimage to Turkey every year -- and will next spring. I don't do much shopping, however. Too much to carry home. I just take pictures and memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fr. Tom,
    You have had a lot of work, physical and I am sure emotional, the past several months so I hope your vacation will be heart warming, relaxing with lots of fun thrown in.
    God Bless,
    Judy Davis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Fr. Tom
    I'm glad you are back from Rome. I hope you had a wonderful time.
    My Mom is from Italy and she lived in Rome before she moved to USA.
    We go there every year, and Rome is my favorite city.
    I visited the Vatican many times and I always go there hoping one day to finally see the Pope.
    Last time I was there I bought a Rosary, one for me and one for my little sister. We have been using them at school a we take great care of them.
    From Vincent Sebastiani 4th grade and Vanessa Sebastiani K at Good Shepherd Catholic School

    ReplyDelete

Please note that I am moderating all comments before they are posted. Please type your comment below, and be sure to include your real name at the end of your comments. I want to encourage genuine dialogue and respectful sharing of diverse opinions. However, I will not allow unsigned comments, or those I deem to be offensive, to be posted. If you see a "Select Profile" box below, and it mystifies you, select "Anonymous" at the bottom of the drop-down menu.