Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Religion vs. Religiosity

Today's LA Times' Calendar section featured a review of a new book on Mark Twain by Tim Rutten, in which he makes an observation that has put me into pondering mode:

Twain, though an unbeliever, was one of the first American cultural observers to intuit that the country's great propblem was not religion per se, but a surfeit of religiosity.

As I ponder more, I may have a few more thoughts about light that this distinction may shed on the dialogue (or better, the rant-and-rage-filled lack thereof) that characterizes our religious / political / social interactions these days.

It should be obvious I like the word "ponder" (see some translations, e.g., KJV, of Luke 2:19).  If you check what the online Merriam-Webster has to say about it, it should also be obvious why.

The more I read Tim Rutten, the more I'm grateful that the LA Times seems to value him.  I haven't seen such perceptive wisdom (not to mention courage) there since the great Paul Conrad retired.

Meanwhile, enjoy the following post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that I am moderating all comments before they are posted. Please type your comment below, and be sure to include your real name at the end of your comments. I want to encourage genuine dialogue and respectful sharing of diverse opinions. However, I will not allow unsigned comments, or those I deem to be offensive, to be posted. If you see a "Select Profile" box below, and it mystifies you, select "Anonymous" at the bottom of the drop-down menu.