Monday, April 27, 2009

Liturgical Ministers' Dinner and "My Way"

The reason for my previous post ("Their Way") is that that the OLA Liturgical Minsters hosted a wonderful dinner party for me, the first "farewell" of the "season," at Casa de Salsa last Friday evening,  It was a wonderful evening.  (You can see some really great pictures here.)  During it, the mariachi band serenaded my table with a lengthy performance of "My Way," one of my least favorite songs in the whole world.  It got me to thinking of a parody that appeared on "Prairie Home Companion" while I was still in Campus Ministry that lampooned the academic types with which I hobnobbed in those days.  It was such fun that I stayed up late a few nights after the first broadcast to record a repeat broadcast, and then transcribed it, and put it up on a joke website, which can still be found almost twenty years later.  (See for yourself, Google "tom welbers their way" and you'll find it.)

1 comment:

  1. Yes, my wife and I were there and as the mariachis were singing, our dear Fr. Tom pulls out his BlackBerry and starts to search or type something. Gosh, and I thought we were having a nice party for the man and conversing, but he is rudely (or so I thought!!) looking something up on the internet. Hrmph! So the infernal song is almost completed and Tom, grinning, hands over the device and we read his posting of the very funny parody made 20 years ago. Great! That deserved a bit more wine indeed!! :-) We loved it!

    Finally, Tom, the Good Shepherd's, assessment . . . well, he is doing it "God's Way". . . and we agree! Blessings to you, Tom!

    ReplyDelete

Please note that I am moderating all comments before they are posted. Please type your comment below, and be sure to include your real name at the end of your comments. I want to encourage genuine dialogue and respectful sharing of diverse opinions. However, I will not allow unsigned comments, or those I deem to be offensive, to be posted. If you see a "Select Profile" box below, and it mystifies you, select "Anonymous" at the bottom of the drop-down menu.