Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day


I'm not sure if this is a confession or a boast, but I haven't a drop Irish DNA in me, except what might perhaps have been clandestinely inserted in my lineage by a renegade Irish monk wandering around Teutonic lands in the Middle Ages.  (They did save civilization, after all.  See Thomas Cahill.)

That said, I acknowledge (as I did at Mass this morning, in conjunction with the Gospel on foregiveness), the debt we all owe to St. Patrick -- and his willingness not only to forgive his captors but his passion to share with them the greatest possible gift: Jesus Christ.  Without him, and that persistent act of forgiveness, what would any of us be doing today?  Certainly not what we're doing now; that's for sure.

In the spirit of St. Patrick, I'd lke to share this most wonderful rendition of the quintessential Irish poem/song.  (No, it's not "Danny Boy"!)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that I am moderating all comments before they are posted. Please type your comment below, and be sure to include your real name at the end of your comments. I want to encourage genuine dialogue and respectful sharing of diverse opinions. However, I will not allow unsigned comments, or those I deem to be offensive, to be posted. If you see a "Select Profile" box below, and it mystifies you, select "Anonymous" at the bottom of the drop-down menu.