Thursday, March 26, 2009

Happy Birthday, Robert Frost

Today's the 125th birthday of poet Robert Frost, whose two poems I fondly remember in high school and college years as thematic of my own developing vocational choice: "The Road Not Taken" and "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening."

In celebration you may want to glance at his bio in Wikipedia, and an interesting article from The Atlantic, about the publication of several of his poems 'way back when.

I like this quote:

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life--it goes on.

And the epitaph on his tombstone reads:

I had a lover's quarrel with the world.

I also couldn't help but notice he died, at age 88, of complications from prostate surgery.  That was two years after he read his poetry at JFK's inauguration.

Happy birthday, Robert Frost.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that I am moderating all comments before they are posted. Please type your comment below, and be sure to include your real name at the end of your comments. I want to encourage genuine dialogue and respectful sharing of diverse opinions. However, I will not allow unsigned comments, or those I deem to be offensive, to be posted. If you see a "Select Profile" box below, and it mystifies you, select "Anonymous" at the bottom of the drop-down menu.