Monday, February 23, 2009

Update . . . and St. Damien

Well, I've been back at OLA almost a week, and it's been more than a week since I've posted something here.  So, a brief update:

I thoroughly enjoyed my first Sunday back at the parish since my surgery, and have come to realize it is true what they say: while I may be "feeling well" six weeks after the surgery, it really takes three months to get your strength and stamina back, i.e., to fully recover.  Even though Deacon Bob preached all the Masses, and I paced myself thoroughly enjoying the time I spent in the patio greeting so many wonderful friends, I spent the whole day feeling a reduced energy level, and was exhausted by the end of the day.

I see in this morning news that Blessed Damien de Veuster, Apostle of Molokai, will be canonized on October 11, 2009.  This is good news for us who are closely associated with his community.  He is, of course the patron of Damien High School in La Verne, and the Sacred Heart Fathers, his religious community, staff both Holy Name of Mary Parish and St. Paul the Apostle in Chino Hills.  Here are the news articles in the Hawaii Insider and the San Francisco Chronicle

2 comments:

  1. Rock on , Fr. Tom !
    -- Steve Barr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea for Blessed Damien! Here is a man we can all aspire to be like. He himself died of the sickness that he tried to allivate. He died in Love for his fellow man and for Love.

    -Scott Lawson

    ReplyDelete

Please note that I am moderating all comments before they are posted. Please type your comment below, and be sure to include your real name at the end of your comments. I want to encourage genuine dialogue and respectful sharing of diverse opinions. However, I will not allow unsigned comments, or those I deem to be offensive, to be posted. If you see a "Select Profile" box below, and it mystifies you, select "Anonymous" at the bottom of the drop-down menu.