Thursday, February 5, 2009

Rainy day reflections

My goodness, I can't believe it's been a week and a day since my last post.  What's been happening since then?  Well, yesterday marked four weeks since my surgery, and two weeks since the catheter was removed.  I'm still getting stronger, and visited the OLA parish office yesterday.  It was nice to be back and visit the wonderful folks there, but I was pretty exhausted when I got back here, a good sign that I'm still "on the mend."  I do have a target date for my return to OLA, and that's Tuesday, February 17.

One of the ways I've described my time of recovery from surgery is a gift of "enforced leisure."  I'm currently writing a bit on what that really means to me, and hope to post it soon.  Another way of describing my activity is "exploring the world from my laptop."  There will be more about that too.

I took a nice walk this morning to the local farmers' market, and got back just before the rain started.  I've enjoyed the past week of warmth, sunshine, and clear air.  And am enjoying the rain too.  Glad I got some exercise in; it will be a few days, I think, before I get more.

I've started an Early Christian World blog too, and the first two entries -- still a "work in progress" -- are about compiling a directory of Catholic Churches in Turkey.  Although Catholics are a tiny minority, less than half a percent, there is a strong and stable Catholic presence there.  However, information about them is not easy to come by, and takes some ferreting out.

I ran across two videos on Deacon Greg Kandra's The Deacon's Bench blog, which I want to share with you.  Deacon Greg's blog is one of the best for keeping up to date on the U.S. and worldwide Catholic scene.  I hope to say a little more about my favorite sources of internet info in a future post.

The first video really speaks to me of the challenges our world today puts to our faith.  See what you think:




(Update: I removed the video I had originally put up here on Nick Vujicic "Life without Limbs" because it rather intrusively started automatically.  You can learn all about him, and view videos, at his website: "Life without Limbs."  It is inspiring in the best sense of the word.)

By the way, I've posted a couple of comments on Deacon Greg's blog, you can view them here:



Right now, however. it's naptime to allow the healing energy, awakened by this morning's walk, to get busy and do its thing -- so I'll be in tiptop shape when I get back into the ministerial saddle.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Fr. Tom!

    Liked your post on the Deacons . . . very clear and relevant to me. And Clifton's was great . . . I used to go to the one in Lakewood when I worked there with co-workers. Buying your lunch by the plate, 97 cents for a pie slice, $1.35 for Mac & Cheese was fun and one always ended up with waaay to much food. :-) Get well! -Scott & Lydia

    ReplyDelete

Please note that I am moderating all comments before they are posted. Please type your comment below, and be sure to include your real name at the end of your comments. I want to encourage genuine dialogue and respectful sharing of diverse opinions. However, I will not allow unsigned comments, or those I deem to be offensive, to be posted. If you see a "Select Profile" box below, and it mystifies you, select "Anonymous" at the bottom of the drop-down menu.